?Who are we
Who are we?
Nablus Municipality exerted tremendous efforts to protect the environment since nineties by establishing two wastewater treatment plants (WWTP) one for Nablus West near Deir Sharaf, and another one for Nablus East near Azmout.
The Municipality has obtained the financial contribution to implement both WWTPs as a donation from Federal Republic of Germany through KfW in 1998.
Main objectives of WWTPs:
- Elimination of odors and epidemic diseases caused by flowing wastewater a long Wadi-Zeimer in the West and Wadi Sajour in the East
- Protecting surface and groundwater from pollution
- Using treated wastewater for irrigation purposes and thereby saving drinking water
- Preventing farmers from using untreated wastewater in irrigation preserving public heath
1.WWTP Nablus West
The project was co-financed by the Federal Republic of Germany as donation through the German Development Bank (KfW). However, the Municipality Contribution was about 1.5 million (JD) to procure the necessary land plots of the WWTP site that has an area of 110 donums. In addition the Municipality has nominated the necessary staff to manage and operate the WWTP.
The project was implemented by the Contractor the Joint Venture Passavant Reodiger and Kinetics. The consultant was Lahmeyer International and Hijjawi
Engineering Center who prepared the relevant design works and supervision works during the implementation phase.
The WWTP was put into operation in July 2013. Operational assistance was conducted by the contractor for two years to train the staff of the plant. The present daily treated wastewater was estimated at 10,000m3. However, first stage daily design flow capacity would reach up to 14,000 in the year 2020. The treated wastewater characteristics were fully complying with the Palestinian Water Authority and Ministry of Agriculture Technical Instructions for reuse purposes:
The project consisted of:
- WWTP serving 150,000 PE in the year 2020 who are living in Nablus West and villages of Beit Wazan, Zawata , Beit Eba, Qusin and Deir Sharaf
- 12 Km main sewer line from Nablus City to the WWTP
- Storm water tank
- Implementation of sewerage networks for the villages of Beit Wazan, Beit Eba, Qusin and Deir Sharaf
- Pretreatment units for industries like Tahini, stone cutting factories, jeans factories etc.
- The treated wastewater will be used for irrigation purposes for more than 3000 donums; the foreseen irrigation projects:
- Reuse scheme inside the WWTP financed by Germany and European union (EU)( ongoing)
- Reuse scheme outside the WWTP
- Ruse scheme for 3000 donums. Relevant assessment report has been prepared.
- Reuse scheme of 200 donums financed through USAID program
2. WWTP Nablus EAST
The foreseen project will treat wastewater coming from Nablus East refugee camps Asker and Balata, villages of Rujeeb, Kufer Qallil, Beit Furik, Salem, Azmout, and Deir Al–Hatab. The necessary financial contribution of 40 million Euros has been allocated as donation from the German Government and European Union (EU). However, the Municipality contribution was estimated at 3 million Euros to procure the land plots of the WWTP site of an area 68 donums. In addition the Municipality will nominated the necessary staff to manage and operate the WWTP. JV of Dahlem & CDM consultants in cooperation with local consultants were nominated to prepare relevant design works and supervise the implementation of the project
The projected consisted of:
- WWTP serving 115,000 PE in the year 2030 who are living in Nablus East and villages of Rujeeb, Kufer Qallil Salem, Azmout, Deir Al- Hatab, Beit Furik. The estimated daily design flow 11,000 m3
- Implement sewerage networks in Nablus East like AL- Masaken and Suleiman Nablusi Street
- Implement sewerage networks for the villages of Salem, Azmout, Deir Al Hatab, Beit Furik
- Implement pretreatment units for Industries like Tahini, stone cutting factories, jeans etc